Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, February 15, 2008

6 Month Checkup

I walked out of the doctors office today feeling like a horrible Mommy...

I walked in with my list of questions and was eager to get Sydney's measurments. Unfortunately, the doctor was running really late so I had to keep Sydney occupied in the small cold room until the doctor could see us. This was no easy task! Finally, the doctor came in and we started our appointment. He did all of the measurments:

17.6 pounds (she was 15.5 at her 4 month old checkup)
27 inches (she was 26 inches at 4 months)

Size wise she is doing well....now the "horrible mommy" stuff...

The doctor brought up her flat head again. It hasn't gotten any worse but it hasn't gotten any better. He immediately started talking helmet to fix it. I am very hesitant about jumping right into a helmet. Many people I have talked to have said that the flatness will dissapate as she is less on her head, which she now is starting to do. I guess it was the tone in his voice, as if I am doing something aweful by not putting a helmet on her. I know that this technique has been successful for many children and I am not against it by any means. I just think other options need to be tried first in Sydney's case since there are no other medical issues causing the flatness.

He then asked if she was rolling over yet. Again, "horrible mommy" echoed through my head. Well, she started rolling over at 3 months but then stopped. She rolls half way and then just hangs out there. The doctor said her head would do a lot better if she were sleeping on her tummy at night but that we cannot put her on her tummy since she isn't rolling over on her own. So, I guess we will be doing even MORE tummy time!

We then discussed feedings. At least I am doing the solid thing right. I explained that she is eating 3 solid meals a day and breast feeding in between. He then asked about the bottle and I explained to him all of the ways in which we have tried to get her to take a bottle. Basically, what it came down to was that he said if we wanted her to take the bottle, we needed to skip meals until she was hungry enough to take the bottle. Basically, we are to use the "cry it out" method.

And lastly, we discussed night time sleeping. Again, he said we needed to use the "cry it out" method and quit going in to her room to sooth her. He said there is no reason why I should be getting up to feed her. I know he is right and I know that I shouldn't go in to feed her, I guess I just suck at all of this...I just totally feel like such a failure right now. And then to end a perfectly depressing appointment, Sydney got 2 more shots! So now we are home, fussy, feeling down, and tyring to figure out how to fix all of this...because that's my personality - I need to "fix" things!

This day sucked!!

No comments: