Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sydney's First Serious Illness

Poor Sydney has been really sick for a few days now. She started having allergy symptoms around 8 days ago. Then it seemed that she was getting more of a cold. Then on Sunday, she seemed to get worse and by Monday, she was miserable. After a couple nights of fevers and little sleep, I decided to take her to the Doctor. We found out that her allergies turned into a sinus and an ear infection. This is the sickest she has been and it's heartbreaking for Greg and I. She started meds yesterday morning but as of tonight, they still have not kicked in. She is still running a fever anywhere from 101 - 104. It's so sad when her fever gets so hi because she gets scared and I can tell she is uncomfortable by the sound of her cry. At one point today I thought she was getting better but when she woke up from her nap her temperature was back up to 104. I gave her some more Tylenol and sat with her in a luke warm tub of water. She cried the entire time that we were in the tub but I knew we had to get her temperature down so she could feel some relief. The bath helped but it broke my heart to hear her cry the whole time. After her temperature went down, she was able to eat a little and we cuddled and watched movies. Non of us have had much sleep. Greg and I have been taking turns getting up with her at night to comfort her. Greg is such a trooper considering he had to work 10 hours yesterday and 10 hours today with little sleep. I am blessed to have such an involved husband/Daddy - makes me appreciate my mom even more since she was a single mom.

Anyone that knows me well, knows that I need my sleep to function well. It's been challenging for me only having a few hours of sleep the last few nights but when I start getting frustrated I think of Sydney and how awful it is for her to be so sick and to not be able to completely verbalize what she needs and where she hurts. It breaks my heart that she is in pain and that I cannot make it all better for her. Hopefully tonight she will find some relief and we will all get some sleep and tomorrow will be the start of her road to recovery!

We have been utilizing her stuffed animals to help her become less afraid of her meds and the frequent noes irrigation's. It's helped a lot and its so darn cute to watch her give her "babies" medicine and juice. She does it with such compassion and care - makes me very proud to be her Mommy!

No comments: