Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Call for Help!

This is a call out for help from all mother's whom are or have breastfed exclusively...How the heck did you survive? Okay, it's not that serious of a problem but it is getting frustrating. The last couple of days, Sydney has wanted to be fed EVERY HOUR. Now, for those of you unfamiliar with breastfeeding, eating every hour means start feeding at 12 finish around 12:30 and then rest for 15 minutes or so and then crying again for her next feeding!! It's killing me and it's getting really old! I tried to pump with my manual pump this morning but it hurt worse than Sydney suckling. I pumped for what seemed like forever and only got around 2 oz. Then, when it was time for her to eat it, she refused two different bottle nipples so I had to go back to the breast anyways!! I called the hospital to see if I could rent a hospital grade pump but there is a "considerable waiting list."

So, any suggestions? What other survival tips do you have for me in regards to being home with a newborn and keeping your sanity at the same time. I love my little one more than anything but being tied to my home 24/7 and lack of sleep can be taxing. Greg does what he can but he works Monday-Friday 12 hour days (9-9pm). Thanks for any suggestions or tips you may have for me.

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Hey Sarah, I'll see you soon but thought I would post a couple of comments.

1. Get out of the house. Even if it's to walk around the mall, things seem a lot easier when you get a break.

2. Visit people!

3. Keep trying every bottle on the market. PITA but eventually you will find one similar to your nipples that she will like.

4. Sounds like a growth spurt wanting to feed every hour, usually goes on for a couple of days. To get through those days, you can supplement with formula if you feel comfortable with that. Or breastfeed her every 3 hours for xx minutes and then top off with formula or pumped milk.

5. Manual pumps suck. If you can spare the expense, BRU sells great double pumps, like the Medela Pump InStyle.

6. Heat the formula/nipple so that it is warm like your breastmilk.

7. Repeat step 1. Get out of the house, particularly during the witching hours.