Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, February 5, 2007

"Bad Mommy" Guilt

This is a call out for help to all mommies. I have been having congestion for a few weeks, but only at night, so it was manageable. I realize congestion is another wonderful pregnancy symptom so I have been just dealing with it naturally. Unfortunately, the last couple of days this congestion has become worse and is now all day long. In fact, my nose is so congested that I now have sinus pain. So, I put a call into my doctor to see what she suggests for me to take to help out. I hate the idea of taking Sudafed, but I think that is what she will suggest. I feel guilty taking anything over the counter because I don't want it to hurt my baby.

So, I thought maybe all of you moms out there could ease my mind and share some of your stories of over the counter products that your doctor had you use when you were pregnant. Maybe if I hear some of your stories, I won't feel so guilty??

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Sarah, the best advice I ever got is that a happy mom is a good mom. There are a lot of OTC medicines that do not pass through the placenta and/or have been tested thoroughly. askdrsears.com is a great resource for that info.

But if you really want to feel better, I took terbutaline for 6 weeks while pregnant to help halt pre-term labor. It is commonly used as an anti-contraction drug but is not approved by the FDA for this use. It is an asthma drug.

Side effects that I experienced were racing heartrate, anxiety, nausea, and low blood pressure. Other known side effects are fluid collecting in the lungs and hallucinations.

My kids are perfectly healthy despite taking this! I really wanted to eat an all-organic diet, avoid meds, do yoga, and be so healthy. But pregnancy is REALLY hard on a woman's body and your baby will be fine if you occasionally need something for your comfort. You should not feel guilty if YOU are in pain.

Sarah said...

Thank you Laura!! I did finally take the Sudafed that day and some Benadryl that night and feel much better today. And thank you for the website!!